Taking Charge of Adult ADHDby Russel A Barkley Guilford Publications
- Pub Date:
- Pb+ 294 pages
- AU$37.99 NZ$39.12
Other Available Formats:
> Prominent, bestselling author Russell A. Barkley provides the definitive guide to managing adult ADHD.
> Barkley's Taking Charge of ADHD is the ''bible'' for parents and a perennial child psych bestseller.
> The entire book—from writing style to organization and design—is geared to be optimally user-friendly for readers with ADHD.
> Presents information and advice based on the latest research, including two major studies conducted by the author.
> Hands-on, practical strategies for coping with the full range of symptoms and the specific challenges they pose.
> A soup-to-nuts book on how ADHD affects adults and what can be done about it.
Adults seeking effective solutions for the many challenges ADHD poses; also of interest to mental health professionals.
Step One. To Get Started, Get Evaluated
1. Is It Possible That You Have ADHD?
2. Can You Handle the Problem on Your Own?
3. Where Can You Go to Get Help?
4. What Do You Need for the Evaluation?
5. What Will the Evaluation Tell You?
Step Two. Change Your Mindset: Know and Own Your ADHD
6. Know Your ADHD
7. Resisting Impulses: The First Step in Self-Control
8. Self-Control: How to Get What You Want
9. Executive Functions: The Abilities That Make Up Self-Control . . . and More
10. The Nature of ADHD and How You Can Master It
11. Own Your ADHD
Step Three. Change Your Brain: Medications for Mastering ADHD
12. Why It Makes Sense to Try Medication
13. The Stimulants
14. The Nonstimulants
15. What to Expect from Treatment
Step Four. Change Your Life: Everyday Rules for Success
16. Rule 1: Stop the Action!
17. Rule 2: See the Past . . . and Then the Future
18. Rule 3: Say the Past . . . and Then the Future
19. Rule 4: Externalize Key Information
20. Rule 5: Feel the Future
21. Rule 6: Break It Down . . . and Make It Matter
22. Rule 7: Make Problems External, Physical, and Manual
23. Rule 8: Have a Sense of Humor!
Step Five. Change Your Situation: Mastering ADHD in Specific Areas of Your Life
28. Driving, Health, and Lifestyle Risks
29. Other Mental and Emotional Problems
30. Drugs and Crime
Appendix. A Closer Look at ADHD Symptoms